Security forces launched an operation to ferret out dormant Islamic State cells in the Rutba area in Anbar province. Rutba is near the Jordanian border and was once a militant stronghold.
At least 45 people were killed and three were wounded in recent violence:
Turkey announced that 35 guerillas were killed during Friday airstrikes that targeted a Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) meeting in the Qandil region.
Two adults were killed and their three children were wounded when they came across a bomb in Khanaqin.
Militants killed two truck drivers and kidnapped seven people from a highway between Baghdad and Kirkuk.
An airstrike on Farhatiya left six militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Yields 23 Bodies; 19 Others Wounded in Iraq – September 14th, 2018