In Baghdad, two bombs were tossed into a garden at a building that houses the Communist Party headquarters. No casualties were reported, but it is likely that the bombing was a message against the Sa’iroun bloc, which the party affiliated itself with during the parliamentary election campaign. On May 15, two other offices affiliated with Sa’iroun were bombed. No casualties were reported in those two explosions either. The Sa’iroun bloc is led by Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr; its candidates received the most votes in the election.
At least 40 people were killed, and 16 more were wounded. Also, 19 bodies were found in a mass grave:
In Mosul, 19 bodies were found in the rubble of the Great Mosque.
ISIS/Daesh militants released a video showing the execution of two Kurds. The men were kidnapped in Kirkuk in late 2017.
Mortar fire killed a woman at her home in Riyadh.
A roadside bomb in Rashad wounded three militiamen.
Turkish warplanes launched airstrikes on Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Hakurk, leaving six guerrillas dead.
Seven militants were killed during an airstrike on their position near Wadi Jaal.
In Daquq, four militants were killed.
Security forces near Riyadh in Tal Eid killed three militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018