In Baghdad, two bombs were tossed into a garden at a building that houses the Communist Party headquarters. No casualties were reported, but it is likely that the bombing was a message against the Sa’iroun bloc, which the party affiliated itself with during the parliamentary election campaign. On May 15, two other offices affiliated with Sa’iroun were bombed. No casualties were reported in those two explosions either. The Sa’iroun bloc is led by Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr; its candidates received the most votes in the election.
At least 40 people were killed, and 16 more were wounded. Also, 19 bodies were found in a mass grave:
In Mosul, 19 bodies were found in the rubble of the Great Mosque.
ISIS/Daesh militants released a video showing the execution of two Kurds. The men were kidnapped in Kirkuk in late 2017.
Mortar fire killed a woman at her home in Riyadh.
A roadside bomb in Rashad wounded three militiamen.
Turkish warplanes launched airstrikes on Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Hakurk, leaving six guerrillas dead.
Seven militants were killed during an airstrike on their position near Wadi Jaal.
In Daquq, four militants were killed.
Security forces near Riyadh in Tal Eid killed three militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018