At least 16 people were killed, and another was wounded:
Near Riyadh, the bodies of two kidnapping victims were found.
A bomb wounded one person near Khanaqin.
An operation near the Syrian border left seven militants dead.
Seven other militants were killed in Hawijat Aweibd.
Despite hundreds of thousands of pilgrims observing the Ashura holiday in Iraq, the day was mostly peaceful. Ashura marks the 680 A.D death of Imam Hussein, grandson of Prophet Mohammed. In the recent past, terrorists have targeted observers, so security was stepped up to prevent violence.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018
- Peshmerga Member Among Two Dead in Iraq – December 9th, 2018
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Targets; 12 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Gives up 50 Bodies; Two Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2018
- Protesters Attempt to Storm Basra Governor’s Office; 16 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2018