At least 16 people were killed, and another was wounded:
Near Riyadh, the bodies of two kidnapping victims were found.
A bomb wounded one person near Khanaqin.
An operation near the Syrian border left seven militants dead.
Seven other militants were killed in Hawijat Aweibd.
Despite hundreds of thousands of pilgrims observing the Ashura holiday in Iraq, the day was mostly peaceful. Ashura marks the 680 A.D death of Imam Hussein, grandson of Prophet Mohammed. In the recent past, terrorists have targeted observers, so security was stepped up to prevent violence.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Deploys More Troops to Kirkuk; 13 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2018
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018