Thousands of demonstrators returned to the provincial government building in Basra, where they set tires on fire to call attention to the dire water situation in the province. A separate group of about 150 protesters gathered outside the Nahr Bin Omar oilfield and threatened to prevent oil production until they get clean water. Police dispersed the oilfield protesters with tear gas before they could cause on interruption. Demonstrators also blocked a road that leads to the Shalamcheh border crossing with Iran.
At least eight people were killed, and four were wounded in recent violence:
A bomb on Fatha left three farmers dead and two wounded.
A bomb killed one and wounded two militiamen in Jurf al-Sakr (Jurf al-Nasr).
Four militants were killed during an operation in Riyadh.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Activist Assassinated; 21 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2018
- Danish Troops Accused of Firing on Shi’ite Militia; 19 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2018
- Fresh Operations Against ISIS; 37 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2018
- Village Mayor Among 20 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operations Near Syrian Border; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2018