Thousands of demonstrators returned to the provincial government building in Basra, where they set tires on fire to call attention to the dire water situation in the province. A separate group of about 150 protesters gathered outside the Nahr Bin Omar oilfield and threatened to prevent oil production until they get clean water. Police dispersed the oilfield protesters with tear gas before they could cause on interruption. Demonstrators also blocked a road that leads to the Shalamcheh border crossing with Iran.
At least eight people were killed, and four were wounded in recent violence:
A bomb on Fatha left three farmers dead and two wounded.
A bomb killed one and wounded two militiamen in Jurf al-Sakr (Jurf al-Nasr).
Four militants were killed during an operation in Riyadh.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019
- Car Bomb in Town Near Syrian Border; Six Killed in Iraq – January 11th, 2019
- 38 Found in Mass Grave near Mosul; One Killed in Iraq – January 9th, 2019