On Sunday, Human Rights Watch asked Iraq to declare the number of detention centers the country is running and who is controlling them. In one case, the National Security Services denied holding suspects, but officials were forced to backpedal when HRW members saw prisoners at a jail in Mosul for themselves. HRW also requested that Baghdad not keep detentions a secret from suspect’s families. Tens of thousands of suspects are believed held by any of a number of agencies. At prisons where observers have talked with detainees, they’ve been told stories of torture, deaths, overcrowding, and poor conditions.
Overall, at least 25 people were killed, and three were wounded:
Two policemen and a militant were wounded during a clash near a judge’s home in Kirkuk.
An airstrike on Balkana left 15 militants dead.
A militant was killed in Zanqar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019