Authorities and civilians in Qaim were forced to clear the Euphrates River of bodies after at least 30 of them floated in from Syria. The bodies are believed to belong to Islamic State militants who were executed in Hajin, Syria, and then tossed into the river. Fear of contamination and bad odors forced the impromptu cleaning.
At least 18 people were killed or found dead, and five were wounded:
In Kirkuk, two soldiers were injured after unknown persons threw a grenade at them. The soldiers overreacted and began firing indiscriminately, killing a 65-year-old woman. Three of her relatives were wounded.
Seven militants were killed in Dibs, including a notorious commander.
Security forces killed six militants in Imam Weis.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019