Authorities and civilians in Qaim were forced to clear the Euphrates River of bodies after at least 30 of them floated in from Syria. The bodies are believed to belong to Islamic State militants who were executed in Hajin, Syria, and then tossed into the river. Fear of contamination and bad odors forced the impromptu cleaning.
At least 18 people were killed or found dead, and five were wounded:
In Kirkuk, two soldiers were injured after unknown persons threw a grenade at them. The soldiers overreacted and began firing indiscriminately, killing a 65-year-old woman. Three of her relatives were wounded.
Seven militants were killed in Dibs, including a notorious commander.
Security forces killed six militants in Imam Weis.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Men on Fishing Trip Among Nine Killed in Iraq – February 23rd, 2019
- 26 Shabaks Found in Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2019
- Border Guards Among 15 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2019
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019