Authorities and civilians in Qaim were forced to clear the Euphrates River of bodies after at least 30 of them floated in from Syria. The bodies are believed to belong to Islamic State militants who were executed in Hajin, Syria, and then tossed into the river. Fear of contamination and bad odors forced the impromptu cleaning.
At least 18 people were killed or found dead, and five were wounded:
In Kirkuk, two soldiers were injured after unknown persons threw a grenade at them. The soldiers overreacted and began firing indiscriminately, killing a 65-year-old woman. Three of her relatives were wounded.
Seven militants were killed in Dibs, including a notorious commander.
Security forces killed six militants in Imam Weis.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Yields 23 Bodies; 19 Others Wounded in Iraq – September 14th, 2018