A police source in Mosul announced that a retrieval operation had, over the course of several days, recovered 1,000 bodies from under Mosul’s rubble. The victims appear to be a mix of Islamic State militants and their families, and civilians who were trapped in Mosul during the fight to liberate the city. The operation is ongoing.
At least 15 people were killed, and two others were wounded in recent violence.
Turkish authorities reported that mortars launched by Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerrillas killed two Turkish soldiers and wounded two more in a mountainous area of Iraqi Kurdistan near the Turkish border.
A woman’s body bearing torture marks was found near Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019