A police source in Mosul announced that a retrieval operation had, over the course of several days, recovered 1,000 bodies from under Mosul’s rubble. The victims appear to be a mix of Islamic State militants and their families, and civilians who were trapped in Mosul during the fight to liberate the city. The operation is ongoing.
At least 15 people were killed, and two others were wounded in recent violence.
Turkish authorities reported that mortars launched by Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerrillas killed two Turkish soldiers and wounded two more in a mountainous area of Iraqi Kurdistan near the Turkish border.
A woman’s body bearing torture marks was found near Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018
- Abu Ghraib Official Injured in Bombing; 10 Killed in Iraq – August 9th, 2018