A police source in Mosul announced that a retrieval operation had, over the course of several days, recovered 1,000 bodies from under Mosul’s rubble. The victims appear to be a mix of Islamic State militants and their families, and civilians who were trapped in Mosul during the fight to liberate the city. The operation is ongoing.
At least 15 people were killed, and two others were wounded in recent violence.
Turkish authorities reported that mortars launched by Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerrillas killed two Turkish soldiers and wounded two more in a mountainous area of Iraqi Kurdistan near the Turkish border.
A woman’s body bearing torture marks was found near Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018