A police source in Mosul announced that a retrieval operation had, over the course of several days, recovered 1,000 bodies from under Mosul’s rubble. The victims appear to be a mix of Islamic State militants and their families, and civilians who were trapped in Mosul during the fight to liberate the city. The operation is ongoing.
At least 15 people were killed, and two others were wounded in recent violence.
Turkish authorities reported that mortars launched by Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerrillas killed two Turkish soldiers and wounded two more in a mountainous area of Iraqi Kurdistan near the Turkish border.
A woman’s body bearing torture marks was found near Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018