All seven U.S. airmen aboard an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter were killed when the aircraft crashed near Qaim, after hitting a power line. The crash is still under investigation, but there is no indication that hostile fire was involved.
At least 124 others were killed, and six more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants killed four soldiers and wounded four more at a checkpoint near Qaim.
A bomb at a Madaen marketplace wounded two shoppers.
Authorities announced that 80 militants have been killed during various operations in Kirkuk province over the last 20 days.
In Mosul, a newly found mass grave contained 35 bodies belonging to Islamic State militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Children Among Casualties in Basra; Nine Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2018
- Turkey Continues Unapproved Airstrikes; 24 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2018
- Civilians Bombed in Turkish Strikes; 26 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2018
- Turkey Bombs PKK Sites; Three Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2018
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018