All seven U.S. airmen aboard an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter were killed when the aircraft crashed near Qaim, after hitting a power line. The crash is still under investigation, but there is no indication that hostile fire was involved.
At least 124 others were killed, and six more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants killed four soldiers and wounded four more at a checkpoint near Qaim.
A bomb at a Madaen marketplace wounded two shoppers.
Authorities announced that 80 militants have been killed during various operations in Kirkuk province over the last 20 days.
In Mosul, a newly found mass grave contained 35 bodies belonging to Islamic State militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018