Sixteen Turkish women were handed death sentences in an Iraqi court on Sunday, for joining the Islamic State militants or at least providing aid. They are allowed to appeal their verdicts.
May elections are drawing closer, but there are fears that Iraq’s ethnic and religious rivalries could spell a return of conflict instead of unity.
At least 93 people were killed, and nine more were wounded:
Diyala Operations Command announced the killing of 60 militants during airstrikes on the Hamrin Mountains area last week.
Security forces launched a missile attack on a cave near Baaj, killing 30 militants.
Two militants were killed during a failed attack on militia forces in Salah ad Din province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fresh Operations Against ISIS; 37 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2018
- Village Mayor Among 20 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operations Near Syrian Border; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2018
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018