Sixteen Turkish women were handed death sentences in an Iraqi court on Sunday, for joining the Islamic State militants or at least providing aid. They are allowed to appeal their verdicts.
May elections are drawing closer, but there are fears that Iraq’s ethnic and religious rivalries could spell a return of conflict instead of unity.
At least 93 people were killed, and nine more were wounded:
Diyala Operations Command announced the killing of 60 militants during airstrikes on the Hamrin Mountains area last week.
Security forces launched a missile attack on a cave near Baaj, killing 30 militants.
Two militants were killed during a failed attack on militia forces in Salah ad Din province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019