Brett McGurk, who is the U.S. deputy special presidential envoy for the global coalition to counter the Islamic State group, visited the Kurdish frontlines at Gwer and met with Peshmerga fighters. He will chat with Kurdish officials later in his trip to Iraq.
Iraq announced the arrest of senior Saddam administration official Abd al-Baqi al-Saadun.
At least 129 were killed and 42 were wounded:
In Baghdad, a blast killed five people and wounded 13 more near a car parts shop. Three people were killed and eight were wounded by a blast at a souk. On a commercial street in Bayaa, a bomb killed two people and wounded 10 more. Two people were killed and three were wounded in a blast at a produce market.
Iraqi airstrikes in Falluja killed four people and wounded seven more.
Gunmen in Basra killed two people and wounded another.
An Iraqi officer was killed when gunmen ambushed him at his home in Taji.
In Garma, security operations left 48 militants dead.
Tribal and security forces killed 16 militants attempting to cross the Euphrates River at al-Baghdadi.
Twelve militants were killed in Qaim.
Clashes between Peshmerga fighters and militants took place in Tal Afar, but no casualties were reported.
Airstrikes in Kermerdy and Kodileh killed militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018
- Abu Ghraib Official Injured in Bombing; 10 Killed in Iraq – August 9th, 2018