Sunni recruits graduated from training school in Anbar province this week and received their paychecks, but the mistrust between them and the Shi’ite-led government in Baghdad continues.
Survivors and refugees from ISIS/DAASH territories are complaining about the repressive bureaucracy that replaced their old forms of government.
At least 152 were killed and 35 were wounded in recent violence:
Mortars killed three civilians and wounded 16 more, some of them children, in Julan.
A Shi’ite militiaman killed a civilian and wounded four more in Tuz Khormato. Peshmerga forces then became involved. They wounded and arrested several militiamen.
A rocket wounded three civilians in Taza.
Shi’ite militiamen killed 25 militants in Tarmiya.
Airstrikes left 22 militants dead, including eight Germans, in Aski Mosul.
In Hit, 19 militants were killed and four more were wounded in airstrikes. Among them was a militant known for executing dozens of people.
Five militants were killed at the Ajil oil field.
Three militants were killed in Husayba al-Sharqiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019