Today’s attacks left nine dead and at least 23 more wounded. The Iraqi government executed seven men.
Iraq’s Ministry of Justice announced the executions of seven men found guilty on terrorism charges. The use of the death penalty in Iraq has come under fire internationally because of concerns that the condemned have not received fair trails.
In Mosul, a car bomb killed two soldiers and wounded five more. A police officer and a soldier were killed in a roadside blast. A bomb exploded under a vehicle, wounding two inside. Gunmen killed a Christian. A policeman was shot dead. Two students were wounded in a blast on the university campus.
Two soldiers were killed and four more were wounded in an I.E.D. attack in Haqlaniya.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a retired engineer.
Three people were wounded in a Muqdadiya bombing.
A landmine blast in Jbela wounded a shepherd and his son.
Several people were lightly injured when a bomb exploded at the Latifiya home of a political candidate.
Gunmen shot and wounded a councilman from Bani Saad.
In Kut, gunmen wounded a former army officer.
One bodyguard was wounded in a Qayara bombing targeting a police official.
An I.E.D. blast wounded a civilian in Hit.
A bomb in Yathrib wounded a civilian.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019