At least five Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded in light violence. Meanwhile, Iraq began disarming private contractors in what appears to be a response to the dismissal of U.S. court case against Blackwater.
Iraqi forces began confiscating arms from private security contractors that are no longer licensed to operate in Iraq. The operation comes a week after U.S. judge dismissed a court case involving five Blackwater Worldwide guards accused of murdering Iraqi civilians in a controversial 2007 shootout. The dismissal infuriated Iraqis who believe it underscores the lawlessness in which U.S. contractors have operated throughout Iraq. The U.S. State Department said it will review the handling of the case.
A pair of newlyweds was shot dead in a home northeast of Arbil in Souran village.
Two people were wounded near Rashad, when they came across a roadside bomb.
A U.S. patrol struck a roadside bomb near Diwaniya. No casualties were reported yet.
A dangerous suspect was arrested in Amara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019
- Security Forces Rescue 30 Civilians; Three Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2019
- 10 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 3 Killed in Iraq – February 12th, 2019
- Five Killed in Iraq, Including Security Personnel – February 11th, 2019