Updated at 6:25 p.m. EST, Jan.1, 2007
In Iraq today, at least 70 Iraqis were killed or found dead and another 11 wounded in various attacks throughout the country. Also, U.S. authorities reported that an American soldier was killed yesterday, and in a separate incident a GI killed an Iraqi soldier during an “altercation.”
The first American casualty of the year was reported today. A U.S. soldier was killed when a roadside bomb exploded near the soldier’s patrol vehicle. Three other people, including an interpreter, were injured in the incident.
Military authorities also reported that a U.S. Marine killed an Iraqi soldier during an “altercation” at a checkpoint in Fallujah; the incident which took place on Saturday is under investigation. And, U.S. forces killed three gunmen and wounded a fourth during a raid in Baghdad this morning on an alleged al Qaeda arms dealer.
Five dumped bodies were discovered in Nahwaran.
The morgue in Mosul received the bodies of three brothers who were shot to death.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Air Strikes Continue in North; 29 Killed in Iraq – November 11th, 2018
- Airstrikes in Kurdish Region; 33 Killed in Iraq – November 10th, 2018
- Bomb Blast at Mosul Restaurant; 13 Killed in Iraq – November 8th, 2018
- Thirty Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 20 Killed in Iraq – November 7th, 2018
- More Bombs in Baghdad Despite Ministry Denials; Six Killed in Iraq – November 5th, 2018