Updated at 12:30 a.m. EST, Jan. 2, 2007
Violence continued on Monday, following a weekend where Iraq saw the execution of Saddam Hussein and the 3,000th American casualty. At least 76 Iraqis were killed or found dead today, 10 were injured, and the deaths of two more GIs were reported.
In Coalition news, military authorities reported that two American soldiers were killed and two more injured by an explosive device in Diyala province yesterday. Also, U.S. forces raided a home they believed was a possible safe house for al Qaeda members; six Iraqi people were killed. Al Iraqiya TV that four adults and two children were killed during a U.S air strike in Southern Baghdad. And, mortars fell on British bases in Basra overnight, but no casualties were reported.
Three Iraqi soldiers were killed during clashes with gunmen in Fallujah.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a family of five, including three children. Also, four bodies were discovered in different locations around the city. A prison riot nearby left 10 people injured, including seven guards and three inmates.
A roadside bomb in Mahmudiya killed one soldier and wounded three others.
Several large demonstrations were held to protest Saddam’s hanging.
Also, the Interior Ministry reported 1,930 civilians deaths for December. This is considered a low estimate; however, it does reflect that violent acts are increasing. The Interior Ministry estimate for January was 548 dead.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018