U.S. Marine, 170 Others Killed in Iraq
A U.S. Marine was killed in a rocket attack on a base in Makhmour. He is the second American service member to die in combat in Iraq since the Coalition began fighting the Islamic State. At least three more Marines are being treated for injuries.
Iraqi forces launched what they hope will be the final operation to reclaim Hit and Kubeisa.
Turkish warplanes bombed orchards and forest areas in Dohuk province.
Besides the U.S. Marines, at least 170 others were killed; another eight were wounded:
A mass grave believed to contain the remains of 70 Yazidi women was discovered in Badush.
Tribal fighters and security forces fought militants in Juba. Two tribal fighters were killed and four were wounded. Fifteen militants were also killed.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb killed two people and wounded four more.
A civilian was shot dead in Tuz.
Forty militants were killed during operations in Garma.
In Mosul, Daesh killed 20 of their own for refusing to fight.
Eighteen militants were killed in Kubeisa.
Security forces killed a prominent sniper and his companion at the Alas oil fields.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Australia Politician Visits Front Lines; 65 Killed in Iraq – September 29th, 2016
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016