U.S. Marine, 170 Others Killed in Iraq
A U.S. Marine was killed in a rocket attack on a base in Makhmour. He is the second American service member to die in combat in Iraq since the Coalition began fighting the Islamic State. At least three more Marines are being treated for injuries.
Iraqi forces launched what they hope will be the final operation to reclaim Hit and Kubeisa.
Turkish warplanes bombed orchards and forest areas in Dohuk province.
Besides the U.S. Marines, at least 170 others were killed; another eight were wounded:
A mass grave believed to contain the remains of 70 Yazidi women was discovered in Badush.
Tribal fighters and security forces fought militants in Juba. Two tribal fighters were killed and four were wounded. Fifteen militants were also killed.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb killed two people and wounded four more.
A civilian was shot dead in Tuz.
Forty militants were killed during operations in Garma.
In Mosul, Daesh killed 20 of their own for refusing to fight.
Eighteen militants were killed in Kubeisa.
Security forces killed a prominent sniper and his companion at the Alas oil fields.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Sinjar Mass Graves in Danger of Destruction; 197 Killed Across Iraq – June 28th, 2016
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016
- Militia Accused of Destroying Homes; 112 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2016
- Kurdish Media Office Attacked; 87 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2016