M.P. Falih Khizali revealed that 90 people have died in Basra due to polluted water, while the Human Rights Commission announced that the number of people sickened by the water has topped 110,000. The poor water conditions ignited deadly protests over the summer. The Governor of Basra, As’ad Idani, warned that $10 million was needed to improve Basra’s failed infrastructure.
At least three people were killed, and two others were wounded in recent violence; 51 were found in a mass grave:
In Kokjli, two civilians were gunned down.
Militant killed one person and wounded another in Qaim.
A double-bombing at a home in Khanaqin wounded the homeowner who is a member of the Peshmerga.
At a military base in Qayara, officials unearthed a mass grave containing 51 bodies belonging to ISIS members.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019
- Car Bomb in Town Near Syrian Border; Six Killed in Iraq – January 11th, 2019
- 38 Found in Mass Grave near Mosul; One Killed in Iraq – January 9th, 2019