The European Union’s ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua, wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday that he felt sick while visiting Basra. UNICEF doctors attributed his illness to the contaminated water that has sickened over 90,000 people and ignited deadly protests. He was in Basra to address the E.U.’s efforts in restoring services, ending corruption, and creating jobs.
At least 14 people were killed, and another was wounded in recent violence:
A bomb near the Syrian border in Rummana killed one person and wounded another.
Turkish air strikes killed 10 members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Avasin-Basyan and Zap.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019
- Bomb Targets Tribal Leader and Family; Two Killed in Iraq – April 10th, 2019