The European Union’s ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua, wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday that he felt sick while visiting Basra. UNICEF doctors attributed his illness to the contaminated water that has sickened over 90,000 people and ignited deadly protests. He was in Basra to address the E.U.’s efforts in restoring services, ending corruption, and creating jobs.
At least 14 people were killed, and another was wounded in recent violence:
A bomb near the Syrian border in Rummana killed one person and wounded another.
Turkish air strikes killed 10 members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Avasin-Basyan and Zap.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Children Among Casualties in Basra; Nine Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2018
- Turkey Continues Unapproved Airstrikes; 24 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2018
- Civilians Bombed in Turkish Strikes; 26 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2018
- Turkey Bombs PKK Sites; Three Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2018
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018