The European Union’s ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua, wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday that he felt sick while visiting Basra. UNICEF doctors attributed his illness to the contaminated water that has sickened over 90,000 people and ignited deadly protests. He was in Basra to address the E.U.’s efforts in restoring services, ending corruption, and creating jobs.
At least 14 people were killed, and another was wounded in recent violence:
A bomb near the Syrian border in Rummana killed one person and wounded another.
Turkish air strikes killed 10 members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Avasin-Basyan and Zap.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019