The European Union’s ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua, wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday that he felt sick while visiting Basra. UNICEF doctors attributed his illness to the contaminated water that has sickened over 90,000 people and ignited deadly protests. He was in Basra to address the E.U.’s efforts in restoring services, ending corruption, and creating jobs.
At least 14 people were killed, and another was wounded in recent violence:
A bomb near the Syrian border in Rummana killed one person and wounded another.
Turkish air strikes killed 10 members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Avasin-Basyan and Zap.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Deploys More Troops to Kirkuk; 13 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2018
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018