Video has surfaced of what is purportedly a group of Federal Police tear-gassing detained protesters at an unknown location. Protesters also reportedly set fire to the mayor’s home in Shatt al-Arab. There are also multiple reports on the Internet of security forces killing and wounding protesters in Basra.
At least 16 people were killed, and 20 were wounded in recent violence:
An attack on Albu Shahir, near Kirkuk, left ten dead.
Two civilians were killed and three were wounded during an attack on a tribal mobilization leader’s home in Zakhikha, near Ramadi.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded four people near Ur district markets.
A bomb near the mayor’s home in Kirkuk wounded two people.
No casualties were reported after members of the Sinjar Resistance Units (an offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party) exchanged fire with security personnel in Sinjar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019