At least 17 people were killed and 19 were wounded in recent violence or explosions:
One person was killed and 19 were wounded when improperly stored explosives belonging to the Hashd al-Shaabi militia blew up in Karbala. Several weapons caches have blown up this year across Iraq, even as recently as yesterday. Officials blame improper storage and high heat.
Unidentified gunmen killed three people in Zor Hawi al-Busat and kidnapped a fourth person. All were members of one family.
In Hibhib, a young man was killed.
An airstrike on Metabijh left a militant leader dead.
Other news: Protesters continued to gather outside the West Qurna oil fields, near Basra.
The manual recount of election ballots from the May 12 parliamentary election has concluded. A number of ballots in Baghdad were not checked, because they burned up in a warehouse fire two months ago, but the United Nations has declared the tallying “credible.”
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019