Following a Supreme Court decision that eliminates the possibility of delaying elections, Parliament set May 12 as the date for national elections. The Iraqi Constitution requires elections to occur no later than 45 days before the end of the term.
At least 15 people were killed, and seven were wounded:
A bomb in Rawah killed two people and wounded four more, all from the same family.
The body of a woman bearing gunshots and torture wounds was discovered in Hammam al-Alil.
Gunmen in Kanaan wounded a man who works security at Parliament.
Eleven militants were killed during operations in the Zab region, near Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018