Iraqi troops announced the clearance of Islamic State militants from 360 villages in the Hawija area. The maneuvers allowed for the reopening of a highway between Kirkuk and Tikrit. Operations in Diyala province are ongoing.
Belgian Defense Minister Steven Vandeput is complaining about being kept from visiting troops in Kurdistan and has asked Belgium to respond to Baghdad diplomatically.
Iraq has deployed security forces to Tuz Khormato to restore order.
At least 19 people were killed, and 22 more were wounded in recent violence:
One person was killed and three were wounded when a bomb exploded in a commercial district in Husseiniyat al-Rashidiya.
A bomb at a market in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded another.
Four militants were killed in the Makhoul Mountains.
Security forces killed three militants in Masjih.
In Abbasi, a suicide bomber killed himself.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Operations near Hawija; 15 Killed in Iraq – January 22nd, 2018
- Clashes South of Mosul; 10 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2018
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018