Iraqi troops announced the clearance of Islamic State militants from 360 villages in the Hawija area. The maneuvers allowed for the reopening of a highway between Kirkuk and Tikrit. Operations in Diyala province are ongoing.
Belgian Defense Minister Steven Vandeput is complaining about being kept from visiting troops in Kurdistan and has asked Belgium to respond to Baghdad diplomatically.
Iraq has deployed security forces to Tuz Khormato to restore order.
At least 19 people were killed, and 22 more were wounded in recent violence:
One person was killed and three were wounded when a bomb exploded in a commercial district in Husseiniyat al-Rashidiya.
A bomb at a market in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded another.
Four militants were killed in the Makhoul Mountains.
Security forces killed three militants in Masjih.
In Abbasi, a suicide bomber killed himself.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018