Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend announced that the United States gave the Iraqi government the locations of 81 sites in Mosul known to have unexploded bombs. The rare release of classified bomb information was done, Townsend says, as a matter of public safety.
Thousands of demonstrators participated in an independence rally in Erbil.
At least 33 people were killed and 17 more were wounded:
A bomb placed near brick kilns in Nahrawan killed one person and wounded four others.
Two soldiers were wounded in a blast in Sadr al-Yusufiya.
Militiamen killed at least a dozen militants in Tal Safuq.
In Zuwiya, seven militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Near Kirkuk; 27 Killed in Iraq – January 23rd, 2019
- Turkish Jets Cross Border to Target PKK; 14 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2019
- Four People Killed in Iraq Attacks – January 20th, 2019
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019