Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr promised to disband the Saraya al-Salam (Peace Companies) militia, the military wing of his organization, once the Islamic State militants are defeated. He plans to continue peaceful protests against government corruption.
At least 64 people were killed and 13 more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants executed 12 civilians in Hawija.
A bomb at a grocery in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded four more.
Five militiamen were wounded in a Jurf al-Sakhar bombing.
A bomb in Hilla wounded two militiamen.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded two people in Jisr Diyala.
Near Tikrit, seven militants were killed.
Thirteen militants were killed in an airstrike in Shirqat.
In Ain al-Namal, security forces killed five militants.
Security forces killed four militants near Qayrawan.
Airstrike on Wali Thalab left three militants dead.
At least two militants were killed during a battle in Zarka.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018
- Turkish Soldier Among 27 Killed in Iraq – May 18th, 2018
- Denmark Withdrawing Special Forces; 12 Killed in Iraq – May 17th, 2018