Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr promised to disband the Saraya al-Salam (Peace Companies) militia, the military wing of his organization, once the Islamic State militants are defeated. He plans to continue peaceful protests against government corruption.
At least 64 people were killed and 13 more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants executed 12 civilians in Hawija.
A bomb at a grocery in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded four more.
Five militiamen were wounded in a Jurf al-Sakhar bombing.
A bomb in Hilla wounded two militiamen.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded two people in Jisr Diyala.
Near Tikrit, seven militants were killed.
Thirteen militants were killed in an airstrike in Shirqat.
In Ain al-Namal, security forces killed five militants.
Security forces killed four militants near Qayrawan.
Airstrike on Wali Thalab left three militants dead.
At least two militants were killed during a battle in Zarka.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018