Militiamen launched an operation in the Baaj and Qayrawan area, which is about 60 miles west of Mosul.
Civilians in Mosul say that the Islamic State militants are welding their doors shut and booby-trapping possible exits, so that residents must remain in the city and be used as human shields.
At least 44 were killed and seven were wounded in recent violence:
A car bomb killed two people and wounded four in Baghdad.
Mortars fell on Shirqat, killing a married couple and two of their children.
In Mosul, security forces retook Islah al-Zeraie district, where they killed a militant official and his assistant. Three suicide bombers where killed in the Old City. Dozens of militants were killed in Ektisanen district.
Security forces killed 27 militants in Qayrawan.
Six militants were killed in Umm al-Shababit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- US Soldier Among 25 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2019
- Continuing anti-ISIS Operations; Five Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2019
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019