United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres traveled to Iraq, including a side trip to Iraqi Kurdistan, where he called on leaders to plan for reconciliation between Iraq’s religious and ethnic groups after the capture of Mosul. He also stressed the need to protect civilians from the fighting or use by the Islamic State militants as human shields.
At least 79 were killed and 15 were wounded in the latest violence:
In Mosul, 23 people were executed for failing to evacuate their homes when ordered. Militants executed five civilians and dumped their bodies. Shelling killed seven people and wounded one woman. Seven people were killed and four were wounded by a roadside bomb. A Katyusha rocket killed a sports trainer and his wife.
Clashes in Jamsa left 14 dead.
Airstrikes in Kirkuk province killed seven militants and wounded 10 more.
Militiamen killed three militants in Glam al-Dor.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019