600 Killed in Iraq; Hundreds Sickened by Sulfur Fumes

Updated at 9:30 a.m. EST on Nov. 11, 2016

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has unequivocally rejected Turkish assistance in the Mosul theater. The statement came after Abadi met with U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter, who traveled to Iraq on Saturday to assess the Mosul operation, which has already left one U.S. sailor dead. On Friday, Carter had visited with Turkish leaders and prematurely announced an agreement that allows Turkey to participate in the Mosul operation.

Ankara and Baghdad have traded criticism over a group of Turkish soldiers deployed near Bashiqa that Iraq says is uninvited and unwanted. Turkey refuses to remove them even though Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan says that his country respects borders.

Carter also talked to Abadi about U.S. support after Mosul falls.

Iraqi troops liberated the Christian town of Qaraqosh (A.K.A. Hamdaniya or Bakhdida) and later they freed nearby Kiramlis. Kafer was also cleared of militants.

Officials admit that militants have returned to some liberated towns such as Bartella, requiring another round of cleansing.

About 2,000 people from Mosul and Hawija have reached the Dibaga refugee center in Kurdistan.

At least 600 people were killed and 1,021 were wounded.

Up to 1,000 people were treated at a Qayara hospital for symptoms of exposure to fumes that were released when militants set the Mishraq sulfur plant ablaze near Mosul. No fatalities were reported at the hospital but a witness said he saw an elderly man die after inhaling the toxic smoke. At least one other person was killed. The injured reported breathing difficulties and/or eye discomfort. A previous fire at the plant in 2003 injured U.S. servicemembers. The U.N. later reported another two deaths attributed to the chemical attack.

At various locations on Mosul front lines, three Peshmerga doctors were killed and six others were wounded. There is an unconfirmed report that two Peshmerga soldiers were executed. Militants threw 16 people off a bridge to their deaths.

At the Dibs power plant, the number of injured rose by 15 to 18 wounded in total.

Some security personnel were injured when militants attacked Laylan. Nine militants were killed.

People fleeing Houd reported that many civilians there had been wounded.

The Iraqi Army announced troops have killed 473 militants so far. It is unclear if this includes militants killed by other security forces.

Fifty militants were killed in the liberation of Qaraqosh.

Kirkuk was mostly quiet on Saturday. The estimated number of militant dead rose by 28 to a total of 48 killed.

Fifteen militants were killed during the liberation of Doizzat.

Author: Margaret Griffis

Margaret Griffis is a journalist from Miami Beach, Florida and has been covering Iraqi casualties for Antiwar.com since 2006.