A second generation of U.S. soldiers is now preparing to enter Mosul. U.S. Army Specialist Chase Snow is deployed near the northern Iraqi city that his father patrolled 13 years ago after the U.S. invasion.
In liberated towns such as Qayara or Dhuluiya, tribal mechanisms are being overwhelmed in the attempt to seek justice for those harmed by the Islamic State militants. In many cases, retribution is being sought against innocent family members.
At least 113 people were killed and 77 were wounded:
Militants retook Shirqat, killing three security personnel and wounding two more in the process. Twenty militants were killed.
In Qayara, a mortar attack killed a civilian and wounded 10 more.
Four people were wounded by a bomb while trying to escape Mara village. The victims were women and children.
Militants destroyed an Assyrian church in Karmlis.
Turkish authorities said an attack against troops in Bashiqa was repelled.
Twenty militants were killed in a strike north of Mosul.
Security forces killed 16 militants at Zawiya.
An airstrike on Hit left six militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves up; Four Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2019
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019