A Sunni militia is asking
the Shi’ite-led government for help before operations against the Islamic State
militants in Mosul begin. The group, 2,500 strong, is currently
receiving training from illegally stationed Turkish troops at Bashiqa.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu warned
Baghdad that the operation cannot rely on Shi’ite militiamen as it risks
further sectarian tensions. In response, the Arab League asked
Turkey to respect Iraq’s sovereignty and cease releasing statements that can
only exacerbate the matter. Although security forces are ready
for the operation, which will begin soon, the aftermath apparently is not well planned.
The U.S. State Department approved a proposed sale of Cessna AC-208 Combat Caravan Light Attack Aircraft to Iraq for $65.3 million.
At least 18 militants were killed:
In Tal Afar, an airstrike killed 14 militants.
A drone strike killed four militant leaders in Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019