British warplanes have ramped up airstrikes ahead of the expected operation against Mosul, which could be just weeks away. The strikes against Islamic State targets across Iraq are designed to weaken the militants’ ability to hold Mosul.
The use of airstrikes, however, is limited in the Qayara are where oil fires have been burning for weeks and creating great plumes of black smoke. Unfortunately, Qayara is a main staging area for the attack on Mosul.
Iraq and the United Nations signed an agreement to fight sexual violence in the conflict zone.
U.S. forces are reportedly using white phosphorous munitions in Iraq.
At least 17 militants were killed and one soldier was wounded:
Strikes killed 10 militants in Dandan.
Artillery fire on Qahtaniya left five militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019