British warplanes have ramped up airstrikes ahead of the expected operation against Mosul, which could be just weeks away. The strikes against Islamic State targets across Iraq are designed to weaken the militants’ ability to hold Mosul.
The use of airstrikes, however, is limited in the Qayara are where oil fires have been burning for weeks and creating great plumes of black smoke. Unfortunately, Qayara is a main staging area for the attack on Mosul.
Iraq and the United Nations signed an agreement to fight sexual violence in the conflict zone.
U.S. forces are reportedly using white phosphorous munitions in Iraq.
At least 17 militants were killed and one soldier was wounded:
Strikes killed 10 militants in Dandan.
Artillery fire on Qahtaniya left five militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019