Fighting broke out in Parliament on Wednesday as lawmakers attempted to resume yesterday’s postponed session, leading Speaker Salim al-Jibouri to ask President Muhammad Fuad Masum to dissolve parliament. Yesterday, lawmakers postponed approving a new cabinet that could help in the fight against corruption. In response to the unwillingness of powerful blocs to allow for change, street protests and rallies took place in Baghdad, Basra, and elsewhere.
Several Shi’ite militia members were captured during the failed Bashir operation. Witnesses say that some of them were paraded through the streets of Hawija on Wednesday. Militants also detained 33 people in Hawija for trying to escape.
About 100 people escaped Islamic State territory in Albu Faraj and sought safety from Peshmerga forces in Makhmour.
At least 36 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
Dozens of civilians were killed or wounded during shelling in Falluja.
In Baghdad, one person was killed and injuring five more at a produce market.
Six militiamen were wounded during an attack on Nasr. The battle began with a car bombing, but subsequent fighting last over an hour.
In Sajariya, a militia officer was killed as he attempted to dismantle a bomb.
In Hit, 33 militants were killed as troops advanced through al-Jamiya al-Thaniya neighborhood.
Security forces killed a militant in Shalgham al-Nada.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018
- Peshmerga Member Among Two Dead in Iraq – December 9th, 2018
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Targets; 12 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Gives up 50 Bodies; Two Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2018
- Protesters Attempt to Storm Basra Governor’s Office; 16 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2018