Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani condemned the recent sectarian violence in Muqdadiya and criticized the government for allowing Shi’ite militiamen to run wild. He called on the government to bring the militiamen under complete control.
But, in Tuz Khormato, the tensions between Turkmen and Kurds are growing. Neighborhoods are being ethnically cleansed, either voluntarily or otherwise.
The Islamic State’s losses in Ramadi appears to have shifted violence to other parts of Iraq and perhaps to other countries. However, they still hold some neighborhoods there and are using human shields to protect themselves.
The U.S. Pentagon admitted to more civilian casualties in airstrikes.
At least 112 were killed:
In Mosul, airstrikes killed three Daesh judges and 33 detainees believed to be mostly civilians.
Eleven Peshmerga were killed in a rocket attack on Sinjar.
Gunmen killed two civilians in Baghdad.
In Muqdadiya, unidentified gunmen killed a shop owner.
Sufiya was liberated, and 35 civilians were rescued.
Near Samarra Island, 25 militants were killed.
Fifteen militants were killed during the liberation of Albu Khalifa and Albu Mahal.
Fourteen militants were killed near Falluja.
In Garma, eight militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019
- Security Forces Rescue 30 Civilians; Three Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2019
- 10 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 3 Killed in Iraq – February 12th, 2019