Three millions pilgrims visited Samarra without a major incident. They were there to observe the anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam Hassan Askari.
Canadian Minister of Defense Harjit Sajjan visited troops who are training security forces near the front lines in Khazar. Meanwhile, Canada denied accusations that Canadian jets bombed Iraqi security personnel in last week’s friendly fire incident.
At least 114 were killed and 17 were wounded:
Two people were killed and seven were wounded in a blast in Taji.
In Baghdad, a sticky bomb on a policeman’s personal car left one dead and three wounded, all off-duty policemen.
A bomb wounded four people in Mahmoudiya.
Security forces in Falluja killed 53 militants.
In Samarra, security forces killed 19 militants.
In Baaj, militants executed six of their leaders who were trying to flee to Syria.
A security operation in Saniya left two militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Political Blocs Discuss Coalition Building; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2018
- Militia Armory Burns and Explodes; 15 Killed in Iraq – August 18th, 2018
- Electric Infrastructure Targeted; Six Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2018
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018