Iraq forces attacked Islamic State militants outside of Ramadi, prompting Anbar Provincial Council Chairman Sabah Karhot to announce it was the beginning of a major assault in the province. Baghdad quickly denied that it was such an operation. Instead, the clearing of the area was in support of Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s visit to the Habaniya air base to discuss future plans with American advisors. The premier did say that Anbar was next on the list for liberation.
Militants freed about 216 Yazidi prisoners in northern Iraq. Most of them were elderly, but about 40 children were in the group. There were signs of abuse and mistreatment. The reason for the release was not given, but it may have been a prisoner exchange.
At least 184 were killed and 16 more were wounded.
Two civilians were gunned down in Tuz Khormato.
A sniper killed a commander in Mtabijh.
Airstrikes in Tal Afar left 42 militants dead.
Thirty-six militants were killed and 16 were wounded in airstrikes near Haditha.
Security forces killed 30 militants in Awja.
In Baghdad, 29 militants were killed.
In the Hamrin Hills, 22 militants were killed.
Nine militants were killed in Qadisiya.
Security forces killed seven militants in Albu Jawary.
A militant commander and five aides were killed in Garma.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019
- Bomb Targets Tribal Leader and Family; Two Killed in Iraq – April 10th, 2019