At least 42 people were killed and 41 more were wounded in prayer day attacks. The only major attack took place in northern Iraq, and it did not seem to be targeting pilgrims.
Twelve people were killed and 31 more were wounded in a double bombing at a livestock market in Tuz Khormato. Four more people were killed and five were wounded a couple hours later when a bomb exploded at a nearby cemetery during a funeral for some of the victims. On prayer days, Iraqis enjoy shopping for animals, and insurgents have often taken advantage of that tradition.
Six young men were executed in Hawija, and their homes were blow-up.
Gunmen killed four policemen in Baiji.
A roadside bomb killed two people in Kirkuk.
A policeman and his mother were shot dead in Qayara.
Gunmen killed a civilian and wounded three others, including two policemen, in Falluja.
In Mosul, a bomb killed a policeman and wounded another.
One child was killed and another was wounded when a bomb exploded in Qayara. At least one of the children belonged to the head of the local antiquities departement.
Gunmen killed a policeman in Shirqat.
A civilian was gunned down in Muqdadiya.
A suicide bomber was killed in Khanaqin.
In Ramadi, a suicide bomber was shot and killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019
- ISIS Executes Another Truffle Hunter; Two People Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2019
- Tribal Fighting Leaves Casualties; Five Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2019