At least 42 people were killed and 41 more were wounded in prayer day attacks. The only major attack took place in northern Iraq, and it did not seem to be targeting pilgrims.
Twelve people were killed and 31 more were wounded in a double bombing at a livestock market in Tuz Khormato. Four more people were killed and five were wounded a couple hours later when a bomb exploded at a nearby cemetery during a funeral for some of the victims. On prayer days, Iraqis enjoy shopping for animals, and insurgents have often taken advantage of that tradition.
Six young men were executed in Hawija, and their homes were blow-up.
Gunmen killed four policemen in Baiji.
A roadside bomb killed two people in Kirkuk.
A policeman and his mother were shot dead in Qayara.
Gunmen killed a civilian and wounded three others, including two policemen, in Falluja.
In Mosul, a bomb killed a policeman and wounded another.
One child was killed and another was wounded when a bomb exploded in Qayara. At least one of the children belonged to the head of the local antiquities departement.
Gunmen killed a policeman in Shirqat.
A civilian was gunned down in Muqdadiya.
A suicide bomber was killed in Khanaqin.
In Ramadi, a suicide bomber was shot and killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Cross Border to Target PKK; 14 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2019
- Four People Killed in Iraq Attacks – January 20th, 2019
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019