Pre-election violence occurred in Iraqi Kurdistan took attention away from the usual violence across the rest of Iraq. At least 18 Iraqis were killed and 45 more were wounded.
Gunmen opened fire on a Patriotic Union of Kurdistan campaign gathering in Suleimaniya. Three people were killed and two more were wounded. Elections are scheduled for Sept. 21 in Kurdistan.
Three people were killed and four more were wounded when a bomb exploded in a house in Albo Farraj.
A booby-trapped car killed two insurgents and wounded two more when it blew up prematurely in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. in Baiji killed a soldier and wounded four more.
The family of a 17-year-old who was found shot to death in Hammam al-Alil stressed that the boy had been arrested by army troops.
In Falluja, an I.E.D. blast wounded two soldiers.
A suicide bomber was frightened into blowing himself up in Baghdad.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018
- Turkish Soldier Among 27 Killed in Iraq – May 18th, 2018
- Denmark Withdrawing Special Forces; 12 Killed in Iraq – May 17th, 2018