Several blasts targeted Iraqi civilians in Baghdad and cities to the south. Overall, at least 38 people were killed and 106 more were wounded in the violence. Iraqis enjoy visiting markets after Friday prayers, a habit which insurgents have frequently exploited. Also, anti-government rallies continued in Sunni-populated regions, including the major cities of Samarra, Mosul, Tikrit, Falluja and Ramadi.
In Baghdad, a double car-bombing at Kadhimiya‘s bird market killed 17 people and wounded 45 more; the first bomb exploded at an entrance to the market, while the second targeting the fleeing customers.
Five people were killed and 16 more were wounded in a bombing just outside the holy city of Karbala.
A sniper wounded a soldier at the Mazra’a base near Falluja.
Turkey conducted a bombing run on possible Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019