Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said that the central and Kurdish governments have reached an agreement to remove army and Kurdish Peshmerga forces from disputed areas in northern Iraq. Local units, reflecting the ethnic make-up of their respective areas, will replace the soldiers.
Meanwhile, at least 10 Iraqis were killed and 22 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed five policemen at a Diyala Bridge checkpoint. The men were asleep in their quarters.
Gunmen killed a soldier as he was exiting his Duquq base.
Six Sahwa members were wounded in a machine-gun attack in Dujail.
In Falluja, gunmen chased a tribal sheik’s car, causing it to overturn and injure three people. A roadside bomb wounded three soldiers east of Falluja. Two more were wounded in a blast in town. Sniper fire wounded an army officer. A sniper wounded two soldiers.
An I.E.D. blast in Qayara wounded three soldiers.
In Athbeh, a blast wounded two policemen.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019