Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said that the central and Kurdish governments have reached an agreement to remove army and Kurdish Peshmerga forces from disputed areas in northern Iraq. Local units, reflecting the ethnic make-up of their respective areas, will replace the soldiers.
Meanwhile, at least 10 Iraqis were killed and 22 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed five policemen at a Diyala Bridge checkpoint. The men were asleep in their quarters.
Gunmen killed a soldier as he was exiting his Duquq base.
Six Sahwa members were wounded in a machine-gun attack in Dujail.
In Falluja, gunmen chased a tribal sheik’s car, causing it to overturn and injure three people. A roadside bomb wounded three soldiers east of Falluja. Two more were wounded in a blast in town. Sniper fire wounded an army officer. A sniper wounded two soldiers.
An I.E.D. blast in Qayara wounded three soldiers.
In Athbeh, a blast wounded two policemen.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Truck Drivers at Border; 114 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2018
- U.S. Soldier Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2018
- ISIS Ambushes Shi’ite Militiamen near Kirkuk; 31 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2018
- ISIS Widows Sentenced to Death, Prison; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2018
- Another Mass Grave Found South of Mosul; 116 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2018