Official figures from the Iraqi government showed a significant surge in casualties. The government found that 325 Iraqis were killed in July, while another 697 were wounded. These statistics include civilians and security personnel.
About 545 deaths were counted for July in Antiwar.com’s daily figures. That number — which includes civilians, security forces and a handful of insurgents — is only one death higher than Antiwar.com’s June figures. The Iraqi government claimed only 131 deaths in June, even though many news outlets had noted a significant surge in June.
Meanwhile, at least eight Iraqis were killed and five more were wounded in new violence.
Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded four others when they shot up a Falluja checkpoint.
A man believed to be a high-ranking al-Qaeda figure was killed during a military operation in Motaybijiya.
A bomb left no casualties at the entrance of an army base in al-Baghdadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019