A day after a series of attacks left over 100 Iraqis killed, security was tightened around Shi’ite pilgrims and related targets. The observances that mark the anniversary of the death of Imam Moussa ibn Jaafar al-Kadhim end Saturday.
Violence was much lighter today, perhaps as a result of an increase in safety measures. Still, at least 14 people were killed and 21 more were wounded, but none of the attacks was reported as being directed at the pilgrims.
Gunmen killed a Sunni sheikh and three relatives at his home in Hadid.
Three policemen were killed and six others were wounded, including two civilians, in a suicide bombing in Falluja.
In Mosul, three children were killed and one more was wounded when a bomb targeting security forces exploded.
A roadside bomb in Dijla killed one policeman and wounded three others when it exploded.
A police officer was killed and five others were wounded in a blast in Huwider.
A sticky bomb in Abu Ghraib left one civilian dead and another wounded.
A roadside bomb in Kanaan wounded a government employee.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018
- Forty ISIS Bodies Found in Grave; 28 Killed in Iraq – June 15th, 2018