Iraqi President Jalal Talabani indicated he is willing to resign his post because of the ongoing dispute between the Kurdish and federal governments. Talabani, who is a Kurd, met with Kurdish President Massoud Barzani and other political leaders recently to discuss political tensions. The Kurds are unhappy because Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has consolidated too much power. Also, Baghdad is not paying them what they are owed through a profit-sharing deal on oil proceeds.
At least five Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence:
In Baghdad, one person was killed and six people were wounded during a mortar attack in Bataween.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Bomb Civilians; Six Killed in Iraq – November 15th, 2018
- Fresh Operations near Mosul; 22 Killed in Iraq – November 14th, 2018
- 25 Killed in Turkish Strikes Against PKK in Northern Iraq – November 13th, 2018
- Sunni Militia Officer Among 16 Killed in Iraq – November 12th, 2018
- Air Strikes Continue in North; 29 Killed in Iraq – November 11th, 2018