Iraqi President Jalal Talabani indicated he is willing to resign his post because of the ongoing dispute between the Kurdish and federal governments. Talabani, who is a Kurd, met with Kurdish President Massoud Barzani and other political leaders recently to discuss political tensions. The Kurds are unhappy because Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has consolidated too much power. Also, Baghdad is not paying them what they are owed through a profit-sharing deal on oil proceeds.
At least five Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence:
In Baghdad, one person was killed and six people were wounded during a mortar attack in Bataween.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Village Mayor Among 20 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operations Near Syrian Border; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2018
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018