Despite internation condemnation for recent exectutions, Iraq has announced that at least three more detainees will suffer the death penalty. Meanwhile, at least 10 Iraqis were killed and 12 more wounded in new attacks.
Three men convicted of attacking a Christian church in Baghdad in 2010 will be executed, says a spokesperson for the Higher Judicial Council. The announcement comes in the wake of international criticism for Iraq’s corrupt judicial system and a recent surge in executions.
Separately, the Higher Judicial Council complained that they had not given orders to televise confessions from Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi’s bodyguards. They said the executive branch was behind the broadcasts.
In Baghdad, two people were killed and seven others were wounded in a Shurta market when a bomb exploded. A roadside bomb in the Doura district wounded a bodyguard working for an Iraqiya lawmaker. Security forces killed three people wearing explosives vests.
A body bearing gunshot wounds was found in Nahrawan.
A sticky bomb killed an oil worker in Zab.
An I.E.D. in Tuz Khormato wounded three people, including a civilian.
A former army officer was wounded during an attack in Muqdadiya.
The Diyala provincial council announced they will resume sessions in Baquba next week.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Threatens to Kill Captive Security Personnel; Nine Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2018
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018