A series of bombs targeting Shi’ite neighborhoods in Baghdad left behind dozens of casualties. However, there was an unusually large number of smaller attacks across the country as well. This often happens when there is a significant attack or attacks in the capital, as overseas attention is focused back on Iraq. Overall, at least 34 Iraqis were killed and 109 more were wounded in thes violence.
Eleven people were killed and 47 more were wounded when two bombs exploded in Sadr City. At least one was targeting day laborers.
In Baghdad, three civilians were killed and at least 17 more were wounded during a car bombing in Shoala. A bomb in Hurriya left one dead and 13 wounded. Six people were wounded in an Adhamiya bombing. Six more were wounded during a bombing in Allawi.
Five family members were killed when bomb destroyed a policeman’s home in Abu Ghraib.
Bombs planted at two homes in Talhous killed three people and wounded four others when they were detonated.
An I.E.D. on a highway in Shirqat left one civilian dead and three more wounded.
The body of a policeman was found in Islah, bearing gunshot wounds.
In Kirkuk, a sticky bomb wounded two police commissioners.
Two civilians were wounded in a hand grenade attack in Mussayab.
Mortar fire wounded a child near Baquba.
A car bomb left no casualties in Tal Afar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Widows Sentenced to Death, Prison; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2018
- Another Mass Grave Found South of Mosul; 116 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2018
- Security Forces Battle ISIS near Mosul; 23 Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2018
- Airstrikes Target ISIS near Mosul; 15 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2018
- Baghdad Targeted for Small Attacks; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2018