Bombs killed and wounded dozens in Shi’ite neighborhoods of Baghdad where violence also left one American dead and another injured. Shi’ite pilgrims, who are making their way to a Baghdad shrine to commemorate the death of Imam Musa al-Kadhim, were the likely targets. Overall, at least 45 Iraqis were killed and 112 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, at least 35 people were killed and 80 more were wounded when bombs left in three shopping carts exploded at an al-Shurta al-Rabaa marketplace. Some sources counted another 15 wounded in the attacks. Conflicting figures are commonplace in Iraq, especially after large blasts.
A bombing in Abu Dsheer left six people dead and at least six more were wounded. An American contractor was killed in a blast that also left one American and one Iraqi wounded. Three security agents were wounded when a blast struck their convoy in Tabibiya.
An explosion in Haswa killed one civilian and wounded two others.
An officer and a soldier were killed during an explosion in Qayara.
A civilian was killed in Mosul.
A soldier was wounded when a flashlight bomb he discovered in al-Zab exploded as he handled it.
Gunmen in Taji wounded an employee of the Sunni Endowment organization.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019
- ISIS Executes Another Truffle Hunter; Two People Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2019
- Tribal Fighting Leaves Casualties; Five Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2019