Bombs killed and wounded dozens in Shi’ite neighborhoods of Baghdad where violence also left one American dead and another injured. Shi’ite pilgrims, who are making their way to a Baghdad shrine to commemorate the death of Imam Musa al-Kadhim, were the likely targets. Overall, at least 45 Iraqis were killed and 112 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, at least 35 people were killed and 80 more were wounded when bombs left in three shopping carts exploded at an al-Shurta al-Rabaa marketplace. Some sources counted another 15 wounded in the attacks. Conflicting figures are commonplace in Iraq, especially after large blasts.
A bombing in Abu Dsheer left six people dead and at least six more were wounded. An American contractor was killed in a blast that also left one American and one Iraqi wounded. Three security agents were wounded when a blast struck their convoy in Tabibiya.
An explosion in Haswa killed one civilian and wounded two others.
An officer and a soldier were killed during an explosion in Qayara.
A civilian was killed in Mosul.
A soldier was wounded when a flashlight bomb he discovered in al-Zab exploded as he handled it.
Gunmen in Taji wounded an employee of the Sunni Endowment organization.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Near Kirkuk; 27 Killed in Iraq – January 23rd, 2019
- Turkish Jets Cross Border to Target PKK; 14 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2019
- Four People Killed in Iraq Attacks – January 20th, 2019
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019