As U.S. soldiers continue to die in Iraq, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates traveled to Iraq to meet with senior government officials and discuss the possibility of extending troop presence beyond the agreed deadline of Dec. 31. Besides the one U.S. soldier who died in a non-combat incident in Mosul on Tuesday, at least four Iraqis were also killed and 15 more were wounded in new incidents. So far this month, another four U.S. soldiers have died.
A blast killed two people and wounded four others near a mosque in al-Rida.
One soldier was killed and eight more were wounded in Basra when the munitions they were carrying exploded.
In Mosul, a bomb targeting an official wounded his driver.
Gunmen in Kirkuk shot and killed a senior official from the notables council.
Eight suspects were arrested in the Ramadi area.
Two suspects were arrested and a rocket was discovered in Safra.
Three ammo dumps were discovered in Kut.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019
- Security Forces Rescue 30 Civilians; Three Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2019
- 10 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 3 Killed in Iraq – February 12th, 2019
- Five Killed in Iraq, Including Security Personnel – February 11th, 2019