At least eight Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in new violence and a prison riot.
A riot at a prison in Tikrit left two inmates dead and 14 people wounded, including seven policemen. Apparently, the prison was damaged to the point that remaining prisoner had to be transferred elsewhere. Also, the city was put under a curfew in case any inmates escaped.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a clinic employee near his home. A policeman was wounded during a blast targeting his patrol. A sticky bomb killed a policeman. Gunmen also killed an army officer during an invasion of his sister’s home.
Soldiers killed an Islamic State of Iraq leader in Addaya.
Two people were killed in Shurqat as they were allegedly planting a bomb.
In Baghdad, a blast in Bayaa wounded two people.
Eight wanted suspects were arrested in Basra.
Two Islamic State of Iraq members were arrested in Safra.
A weapons cache found near Kut gave up 640 landmines and other munitions that once belonged to the former Iraqi army.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018
- Turkish Soldier Among 27 Killed in Iraq – May 18th, 2018
- Denmark Withdrawing Special Forces; 12 Killed in Iraq – May 17th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Funeral; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 16th, 2018