Interior Minister Jawad Bolani said security forces thwarted an attack on the French embassy that was planned by the same insurgents who took over a church last month; however, they were not able to prevent the violence that led to at least 13 Iraqis losing their lives today. Another 33 were wounded as well. Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari called the latest WikiLeaks dump "unhelpful and untimely."
Former Foreign Minister under Saddam, Tariq Aziz, was convicted again today and given yet another sentence, ten years for terrorizing Shi’ite Kurds. Aziz is already awaiting execution for other crimes. Former Interior Minister under Saddam, Saadoun Shaker, received a death sentence, as did Mizban Khidher Hadi, a Ba’ath Party member. Two of Saddam’s half-brothers were far luckier and acquitted in their trials.
Four Iraqis were killed and 30 more were wounded in a blast near a Baquba restaurant. Women and children were among the victims.
Baiji police found two bodies. One belonged to a policeman, the other to a Sahwa member.
A bomb left on a railroad track in Anbar province killed a railroad employee and wounded another.
In Baghdad, a blast in a central location left no casualties.
Fifty suspects were detained in Amara.
An Ansar al-Sunna leader was arrested in Kirkuk.
Three electrical towers were blown up near Qaim.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018