Updated at 7:40 p.m. EDT, May 22, 2009
At least two Iraqis were killed and nine more were wounded in light violence. Operations in Diyala and Basra provinces continue, but another local official in Diyala complained that the operation there is not targeting gunmen.
Muthanna al-Tamemi of the Diyala provincial council said that operation Bashaer al-Kheir II has moved into areas where residents fought against al-Qaeda. He believes that security forces are using false information to arrest suspects, some of them prominent area leaders. Operation Bashaer al-Kheir I last summer was also plagued with the arrests of innocent people. On the surface, both operations appear more focused on corralling local governments and security personnel, both Sunni and Kurdish, than on gunmen.
U.S. forces returned fire on a gunman in Tikrit, killing him.
Thirty suspects were detained in Garma.
Four al-Qaeda suspects were arrested in Suwayra.
Rockets and mortars were confiscated near Nasariya.
A weapons cache was found west of Baghdad in Aqur Quf.
Arms and munitions were discovered in Amara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Threatens to Kill Captive Security Personnel; Nine Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2018
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018