Updated at 7:40 p.m. EDT, May 22, 2009
At least two Iraqis were killed and nine more were wounded in light violence. Operations in Diyala and Basra provinces continue, but another local official in Diyala complained that the operation there is not targeting gunmen.
Muthanna al-Tamemi of the Diyala provincial council said that operation Bashaer al-Kheir II has moved into areas where residents fought against al-Qaeda. He believes that security forces are using false information to arrest suspects, some of them prominent area leaders. Operation Bashaer al-Kheir I last summer was also plagued with the arrests of innocent people. On the surface, both operations appear more focused on corralling local governments and security personnel, both Sunni and Kurdish, than on gunmen.
U.S. forces returned fire on a gunman in Tikrit, killing him.
Thirty suspects were detained in Garma.
Four al-Qaeda suspects were arrested in Suwayra.
Rockets and mortars were confiscated near Nasariya.
A weapons cache was found west of Baghdad in Aqur Quf.
Arms and munitions were discovered in Amara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 25 Killed in Turkish Strikes Against PKK in Northern Iraq – November 13th, 2018
- Sunni Militia Officer Among 16 Killed in Iraq – November 12th, 2018
- Air Strikes Continue in North; 29 Killed in Iraq – November 11th, 2018
- Airstrikes in Kurdish Region; 33 Killed in Iraq – November 10th, 2018
- Bomb Blast at Mosul Restaurant; 13 Killed in Iraq – November 8th, 2018