Updated at 5:45 p.m. EST, Dec. 26, 2008
At least 26 Iraqis were killed and 18 more were wounded in the latest round of violence. No Coalition deaths were reported.
Sixteen people were killed in Ramadi during a jailbreak at a local police station. Six policemen were wounded during the ensuing clashes. Over half the prisoners were recaptured, but three senior Islamic militants are still among those at large. The police chief described them all as suspected insurgents. The fighting began when prisoners overpowered a guard. Ramadi remains under curfew as police search for the remaining fugitives.
A roadside bomb killed three Iraqi soldiers and wounded three more in Balad Ruz.
A bomb in Katoun left no casualties.
Three children and their mother were killed when a bomb was detonated in Ameriyat al Fallujah.
A bomb injured a man and demolished a home in Baquba.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- US Soldier Among 25 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2019
- Continuing anti-ISIS Operations; Five Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2019
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019