Updated at 6:20 p.m. EDT, June 1, 2008
1 US Soldier and at least 7 Iraqis were killed and 29 Iraqis were wounded in the latest attacks, which largely centered around Baghdad and Diyala Province. The US Army reported that an explosively formed penetrator killed a US soldier in northeastern Baghdad. Also, two US soldiers were wounded in a helicopter crash south of Baghdad: an investigation is said to be underway.
In Central Baghdad, a car bomb exploded in a parking lot across the street from the Iranian Embassy, killing 2 and wounding 5 others. In al-Ghazali, a bomb attached to the car of a senior police official was detonated, killing a traffic officer and wounding five others. In al-Tashri’e, another bomb attached to a civilian vehicle wounded four others.
In Kirkuk, an IED was detonated near a police patrol close to the College of Sciences, wounding 8, including two civilians.
In Baquba, a clash broke out between security forces and anti al-Qaeda fighters, killing a child and wounding three other civilians. In al-Katoun neighborhood, a woman was killed by an IED.
In Jalula, a roadside bomb killed a three year old and his mother. Four other members of the same family were also wounded in the blast.
Also, in an update on yesterday’s suicide attack on a Hit checkpoint, the toll has risen to 13 dead and 18 wounded. One of those killed was the police chief of Hit. Police declared an ‘indefinite curfew’ over the city in response.
Compiled by Jason Ditz
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018
- Forty ISIS Bodies Found in Grave; 28 Killed in Iraq – June 15th, 2018
- Euphrates Fills with Bodies Floating in from Syria; 18 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – June 14th, 2018
- South Korea Delivers Promised T-50 Jets; Six Killed in Iraq – June 13th, 2018
- Abadi Calls Turkey’s Claims of PKK Operations ‘Propaganda;’ Three Killed in Iraq – June 12th, 2018